Still trying to decide whether I had a good time or not. I know that sounds horrible. The cabin is great. I love it, all the comforts of home but in the beautiful greenery that is Galiano Island.
I think that as usual, my expectations were set too high. I thought that maybe Dante would have enjoyed the beach, although a tiny nagging part of my brain warned me that he would have a melt-down as soon as he was not allowed to do what he wanted to do. What a smart little nagging part of my brain I have!
We went to the beach on the second day there. Although there was call for rain, the weather held wonderfully. We drove in through the private access road, and then got the double stroller out for the long walk through the forest and to the beach.
By the time we got there, Dante was already getting fussy, and at first would not let Akashik even put him down. He had to hold him for awhile. Then finally, once King Dante allowed his dad to put him down, he was ok… walking around a bit, exploring into the water a bit. But then he had to be taken out of the water a little ways because it was going up to his thighs and so Akashik lifted him out a bit and moved him about a foot back and the fits started. He screamed about that, and then screamed because his dad wasn’t going into the water far enough with him (Akashik was wearing jeans, because it wasnt a super warm day). Although he played with his bucket and shovel a bit, he quickly HATED it because the shovel part is quite rounded and he had a hard time scooping sand properly.
After more crying and yelling, we decided we were done and put the kids back in theRead More »
Well… we are thinking of moving.
To Atlantic Canada – to New Brunswick to be more specific.
Currently we live in Chilliwack. My mother paid a hefty down payment for the house, to be an investment for her, and we pay the mortgage. It works well enough, except that the day will have to come that we branch out on our own.
This home will need to be sold, and our score from it will be half the profit. Eeek.
If we want to be able to afford a home here in BC, we will need to move out to the middle of no-where. Population 1000. Really, we dont want to have to do that.
I was doing an mls.ca listing search of homes 4+bedrooms and under 175,000 dollars and found that you can get alot of bang for your buck out east.
New Brunswick’s unemployment rate is not much greater than ours in BC, and we are not a ‘career’ family. Meaning that as long as it pays some bills, we are happy. We don’t have certificates and diplomas. If we could secure 100,000 from this house, we would be left with a mortgage of only 50,000…… what a heavenly mortgage that would be.
If one of us could get a job flipping burgers even, we would survive!
So, what I would LIKE to do is, travel out that way next spring, check it out. Then come back, get the house on the market and hopefully sell. Of course, employment will be a factor, but New Brunswick has a population that is still actually increasing and they seem to be pulling through the economic crisis with alot of strength. They also have a very low crime rate. What a change THAT would be!!!
The weather there is a bit more of a challenge, but they average more hours of sunlight that the west coast does (just a wee bit 😉 )
No, I’m not crazy… just 37 and ready for something different.