>Ok, well not ‘done’ as in “Drink Me!!!” But it has gone to .999 and is dry, dry, dry. Note to self.. MORE honey next time round. So, if the hydrometor reading was correct when we began, this is a 16% batch. Quite clear, light yellow in colour. I think I taste the clove, there is a hint of mandarin but no sweetness whatsoever.
I have no wine bottles left to bottle it, but took it out of the one gallon milk jug anyhow to get it off the sediment. I put it into empty Wisers Whisky bottles, with balloons on them to see if it is completely done, and if so, I guess Ill just cap it with the whiskey caps and hope for the best!
Our 3 gallon batch is done also, but it is sitting nicely in the 3 gallon carboy. Very little headspace, so Im not worried about it spoiling. Next week or later I will get some more bottles and bottle it.
Ooh, I should add a picture of one of the bottles from our first batch. It was done with mixed berries.
about a half gallon of water heated and 2.5-3lbs honey.
1 mandarin orange , pinch of cloves,drop of vanilla extract (pure)
pinch of yeast energizer (had no prepared nutrient)
1packet of lalvin 1118 yeast, rehydrated and added to cooled must.
Shook it like crazy.
Tossed it into a 1 gallon glass jug and put a piece of cheesecloth over top to allow air for fermentation.
SG.. app 1.120 (I think)
By the second day I noticed an odd smell, not BAD necessarily, but the non citrusy aspect of the mandarin… an aftersmell of sorts.
Today, day 4, I decided to get it off the fruit and into a plastic one gallon milk jug.
The syphon hose wouldnt fit, so unfortunately I had to POUR it in, through a sieve…. a big no-no I know due to the air… hopefully because of the rapid fermentation at this point, all will be ok.
Today’s reading was 1.070, but this was not de-gassed first, so it could have possibly been even a tad lower.
Upon tasting, it actually tasted nice. Certainly did not taste as it smelled.